I love going to skin training classes and seminars, they always remind me to touch on subjects that I tend to overlook. So this blog is dedicated to MEN; whose skin care market currently measures at $12.1 billion and is expected to grow.
What Men need to know about their skin (generalization):
1. Men typically have thicker and more sensitive skin
2. Men's skin has a tendency to produce more oil or sebum and tend to have larger pores than women
3. Men also have a lower PH (more acidic) making them sensitive to chemical peels and other agressive treatments
4. Male skin cells also carry fewer antioxidants, which may lead to a greater number of aging issues
5. Men suffer from ingrown hairs, rash and dryness from shaving
So what does this mean...
1. Your cleanser should have a PH of about 5.5 or lower to keep your skin balanced and protected. Most bar soaps men use have a PH of 9.5+ which will strip your skin.
2. You should opt for enzymes as an exfoliant, rather than an acid. It will be gentler on your skin, but still get the job done.
3. Load up on the antioxidants... both internal and external. Drink that green tea, yerba matte & red wine. Alpha lipoic acid and DMAE are also great internal supplements. Externally, you can find all sorts of moisturizers with antioxidants packed in. (Vit. C, grape seed, alpha lipoic acid.... the list goes on)
4. SUN PROTECTION!! 70% of the skin cancer cases were found on men. Free radical exposure, in combination with naturally low antioxidant levels make you great skin cancer targets. And with your thicker skin, you may not burn as easy, which tricks you in to thinking you don't need an SPF. That is not true. Burning and Cancer are 2 different things, so PLEASE find a good SPF and use it daily.
5. As for shaving. Try to find hydrating shaving creams or gels to protect skin in that area and always shave in the direction of hair growth. If you are prone to ingrown hairs, you may use a gentle salicylic acid to help with the breakouts as needed.
6. Lastly, make an appointment to see your favorite esthetician once a month. You won't regret it!
Men SPA-ing is the biggest growing trend.
Stay tuned for some great MEN worthy skin care products!! XOXO